The name ‘Wat Bechamabophit’ simply means : the temple of the Fifth King. It is a royal monastery belonging to the first class ranking of Rajavaravihara. Few wats belong to this class. The wat was founded during the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) on 1 March 1900. The main structure at Wat Benchamabophit is the Ubosoth Hall. It is one of the finest works of architectural art of the Bangkok period. The Ubosoth has four gables, with the east gable being the main entrance. At the rear of the Ubosoth is a cloister with 52 Buddha images. Some are original and have been brought here from all corners of the Kingdom and from abroad. Others are copies (often enlarged) from important Buddha images.